Wednesday, September 2, 2009

The Use of a Trophy

As winner if the Northwest Regional Highland Games Harp competition, I got to take home (among other things) the perpetual trophy: a quaich, or Scottish whisky bowl. Traditionally this bowl is filled with whisky, then passed around the table to create a welcoming atmosphere for guests. Now, I don't necessarily oppose alcohol in moderation, but fulfilling my role as charming hostess by passing around a silver bowl of whisky is not something I can imagine myself doing; so I had to come up with a better plan for the bowl. Looking at all the gorgeous flowers in our garden gave me an idea. I rather think it is an improvement - and the pleasure of looking at flowers lasts longer than any drink!



Below is a video of the second song I played; it is my own arrangement of a popular Scottish fiddle tune called Hector the Hero. The bagpipe noise at the games wasn't as bad as it sounds - the camera microphone really picked it up!


2 comments:

Shiloh Strang said...

Thank you for answering all my harp questions on the phone, Janna! It was nice talking to you!

I loved the movie of you playing the harp--very pretty!

Our families will have to get together some time...

~Shiloh

Bisceglia Family said...

Your most welcome Shiloh! Thanks for stopping by. And yes, we should get together...

~ Janna