Monday, January 19, 2009

Christmas CD: Recording Session 1

Yes, its true! We are back in the recording studio to record the rumored Christmas CD! I am going to do my best this week to keep you updated on each session, so expect more posts. Yesterday was the first of five days straight in the studio. As we hauled in our instruments and warmed up, the familiar recording "lingo" flooded back to my mind. I haven't thought about takes, volume envelopes, compression, cross-fades, (I know, this stuff sounds strange), DB's, and "pop" filters in so long! I was excited! Recording requires hard work, focus, and lots of energy, but when you are working with great people and love the music it is fun.


Day One - Pat-A-Pan
We consider getting one full song recorded a reasonably productive session, and Monday was no exception, especially since it included set up time. It took about a half hour for us to adjust to the room and start getting a good vocal blend. We laid down the piano and vocal tracks, later "dubbing" in the other instruments. (This makes it much easier for Krista and I, who in some cases start playing right as we finish singing!) Four hours later "Pat-A-Pan" was recorded! A few snapshots from the afternoon...............


Recording involves listening intently to that which you recorded. Here, Krista is listening to a take of "Pat-A-Pan."


Unfortunately, I must also attempt to keep up with my high school studies............even if it means reading my biology text book while standing at my mic for the next take! :)

If you have any questions at all regarding the recording process just post a comment and we'll happily answer!


~ The Fourth Rose

4 comments:

Christine said...

lol cute pics:) and thats cool bout the cd woot!^.^

Miriam said...

Oh a Christmas cd, cool! Are you going to do that Scarborough Fair/Immanuel one? That's my favorite. I know I've already said that before.

Bisceglia Family said...

Thanks for your enthusiasm Christine and Miriam! We're going to give the Scarborough Fair/Immanuel one a try. We love it as well, but it is one of the most difficult songs we sing, and things are always even more difficult to record! We can always do about twenty "takes" though, and ask our recording engineer to cut and paste them together.....
~ Janna

Miriam said...

Ah I see. Makes sense!