Thursday, April 5, 2012

A Wee Bit O' Scotland

I was delighted yesterday to receive this package! It contains three CDs from newly discovered (for me, anyway) Scottish Gaelic singer - Julie Fowlis. She has a wonderful, clear voice, and sings only in Gaelic! She also plays whistle, and is backed by her husband and several other musicians. Right now I am listening to Uam (From Me in English).

I like a lot of styles of music. I love to go to the symphony. An orchestra can produce some of the most amazing sounds in the world. I enjoy listening to Debussy on the piano. I have to admit that country music has a song for everything, that jazz is fun and bluegrass fiddlers can play faster than anyone else. But when I hear Celtic music, it touches something deep inside me. I think this is the music I loveThese are the tunes and songs that touch my heartstrings

~Kathrina
Julie Fowlis

12 comments:

Shiloh Strang said...

That is so neat!!!
I love music and listening to it... Classical music is by far my favorite; I was brought up listening to it. That probably has a lot to do with both my parents being Ballet dancers and all! :) Getting CD's from the library has been so interesting because I have been able to sample so many different styles and genres of music. I have listened to Klezmer, Hungarian, Folk, Celtic, Gypsy, and even some Transylvanian! Some I really liked, some I didn't really care for... but it was so neat hearing all the different styles. Classical ranks as #1 and Celtic as #2.
Oh, and that Gypsy Jazz CD is my favorite CD! :D
You might enjoy this piece:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxHXSHPJ4h4
It is one of my favorite folk pieces. (And it's Joshua Bell on the violin!)

Thanks for sharing!
~Bethany

Daniel Ahrens said...

I think you would enjoy the Braveheart soundtrack, I don't know if you liked the How to Train Your Dragon soundtrack, but in my opinion Braveheart is better. :) In fact, as far as Celtic music goes, I think Braveheart has the best soundtrack out there.
I'll tell you what, next time I come over, I'll show you some Braveheart, and you can show me some Julie Fowlis. I also have some music by a band called Celtic Thunder, but I haven't listened to much of it, so I'm not sure how good it is.
I have to say, I don't usually pick favorites, but if I had to pick a least favorite music style, it would be country. Hands down. And yet, I'm a cowboy. How strange? Not really, some cowboys like real music. :)
Daniel

Anonymous said...

You'll definitely have to show me the Braveheart soundtrack, cause if it's better than How to Train Your Dragon, it must be amazing. :D I'd have to say orchestral soundtracks have to be my favorite, a lot of them have celtic influences. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Znw_wi39nsQ. Certain people reading this comment have I'm sure heard that soundtrack before. :)There's not a specific genre that I don't like, there's just certain song or artists from different genres that I don't like.
Noah

p.s. oh yeah, the Lord of the Rings soundtrack is awesome, especially if you've watched the movie. :D

Jordan Strang said...

You're right. There's so much great music out there, I don't know how we can ever hope to hear it all!!! J/K

I don't think I have to say what my favorite is!!! You all know I'm a classical fanatic!
Take a listen to this to see why!
http://grooveshark.com/#!/s/Andantino/3GzcM4?src=5

But there is some great folk music out there too... Yo-Yo Ma just recently came out with a new album called, "The Goat Rodeo". It kind of a folk/bluegrass/cletic/classical album! (I know, that a lot of genres there!)
Here the first piece on the album:
http://grooveshark.com/#!/s/Attaboy/4gshbg?src=5

Bisceglia Family said...

Bethany and Jordan - I enjoyed both of those pieces! Bethany, as a note, I really like "Short Trip Home" from the album you linked to. Jordan, that would be an interesting album!

Daniel, I have heard some of the music from Braveheart it was beautiful. You will have to play some more for us, though.

Kathrina

Bisceglia Family said...

Enjoy this video of Julie Fowlis!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fb8AVVlAltk

Elaine said...

Hi, my name is Elaine and I think you guys might have attended our church when we had our friends, the Voetbergs, there for a concert. (Hoodview Church of God) Anyway, I was wondering if you know of any fiddle teachers in our Woodburn area. We have had trouble meeting other homeschoolers and music teachers since moving from Centralia 1 1/2 years ago. Any help would be appreciated. :)
Blessings~
bejkuy@yahoo.com

Elaine said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Eden said...

@ Bethany~ Maybe you could learn to sing like that!?!? Not me!

@ Jordan: As far as classical goes... I'm a soundtrack fanatic...and a minor classical fanatic...!(And that does not include Beethoven!)
~Eden

Lord Maderok said...

Wow Eden I didn't know you are a soundtrack fanatic. In fact, I'm having trouble believing Eden wrote the above comment...
Noah

Eden said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Eden said...

Oops! I meant major classical fanatic..not minor...
My friend got me into soundtracks!
And yes...this is me...
~Eden