Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Little House on the Prairie


We were thrilled to have the chance to stop by De Smet, the town Laura Ingalls Wilder spent her teenage years.  We girls grew up with Laura as our heroine!
A memorial society has purchased many of the buildings and items that were used by the Ingalls family.
 This is the surveyors house that was on the shores of Silver Lake. It had been modernized and was a family home for many years. Eventually it was going to be torn down and the society purchased it and restored it.
 Dad grinding wheat in a coffee mill like the Ingalls did in The Long Winter.
 This is what a twist of hay looks like!
 Krista is learning all sorts of interesting facts!
 Kathrina in a replica of the Brewster school that Laura taught in These Happy Golden Years.
In front of the original one-room school Laura and Carrie attended in De Smet.
 A photo of Pa's fiddle.  (The original fiddle is at Laura and Almanzo's home in Missouri.)
This was a beautiful printing of a sheet of Bible references Laura had written out for different situations.
Leading up to the sight where Pa's homestead claim used to be.  The trees are the ones he planted for Ma near the shanty.
 The memorial


It was so lovely to look out and imagine that Laura would have seen this view from her front door every morning as a teenager.

5 comments:

Daniel Ahrens said...

Ok, that's cool. That's way cooler than the house of the guy who started IBM. Some of you may be shocked to know this, but I'm a bit of a Laura Ingalls fan myself. I gotta go see this now, argh, I just gotta go east again!
Ok, it's official, next time you all go east I'm coming too. You don't have to feed me or anything, I'll just ride in Noah's suitcase and come out for the fun stuff!
No, that probably won't work, we'll have to think of something else.
Ok, for now I'll just read one of the LIW books and pretend like I'm there. No, too busy, I'll have to think of something else.
You all can just tell me all about it when you get home, that works for me. :)
Daniel

Bisceglia Family said...

Just don't use the TV show to satisfy your LIW itch, it is less than 10% accurate! J.

Shiloh said...

I totally thought your dad was a reenactor in that one picture!

Oh, the LIW TV show.... :D I've seen nearly all of them. =)

Daniel Ahrens said...

No worries, I found some books to read, so I'm happy. :)

Bisceglia Family said...

@Daniel - good for you! :P J.