Thursday, April 1, 2010

Unaswered Riddle 2:

Why are they called "stands" if we sit in them?

24 comments:

Daniel Ahrens said...

I'm confused, do you mean when you're hunting?

Bisceglia Family said...

Actually, I'm thinking about the grandstand of a (sports) stadium - bleachers, in other words. :)
~Kathrina

Johan said...

Everyone stands to cheer?

Daniel Ahrens said...

hmmm, that's weird, my last post didn't work. oh well.
Jonathan said that it might be because in the mid-evil times, they didn't have chairs for the peasants that watched the jousting tournaments, so everyone stood.
that seems right to me, although it might be that some idiot looked up into the bleachers and thought everyone was standing :)
Daniel

Bisceglia Family said...

Good thoughts (not to mention funny, Daniel ;)). So, I did a little research on the word and it would appear that in Britain, they build stands, on which the people did actually stand. (Along the line with what Jonathan said, right?) There weren't seats or benches. Some stadiums were like this up unil the 1980s according to one resource. Americans built bleachers, which were set up with boards for benches. Apparently they thought it might be nice to sit during the long games, although they do stand to cheer, like Johan said.

~Kathrina (Daniel, you signed yours :O ...)

Daniel Ahrens said...

yeah, I'm always funny ;).
we Americans are so smart, we give our fans comfortable stands (or sits as we should campaign for them to change it too... I can see it now, the grandsits...) :). they should make something so it's easier to yell when you cheer and you don't get laryngitis at the end of the day.
very interesting (I love history), I guess the board seat was the precursor to the metal seats with little 3D lines in them. Someone said "hey I have a great idea, let's make these seats less comfortable, that way everyone will stand up to cheer!" yeah great idea bozo.
Daniel (I always sign my work, ;) although I forgot to put a copyright on the last one... oh well :))
(c) Copyright 2010 by Daniel Ahrens Inc. All rights reserved (that means no copying, Bethany!!!) ;)
PS wow I wrote a lot

Daniel Ahrens said...

PPS how do you come up with these?

Bisceglia Family said...

Hahahaha...now the family trait has truly been revealed! Daniel, your comment was great. It had me laughing much harder than the riddle itself!! In fact, the near-by family members had to come find out what I was laughing about. :) As for something to make it easier to yell, it's called a PA system. (You could also try warm lemon water, but I don't think I'll go there.) Thank goodness game attendees aren't the ones with the sound system though; imagine how deafening that would be!

Oh, I see how that one comment was a sort of special edition. Anyway, I sure am glad _I_ don't have the kind of paranoia you must have to feel that you need to © your "work". ;)

As for where I get these, I'm inclined to let you wonder away....but...hmmmm, maybe I can be persuaded...I actually got them from a news magazine we get. (Some news, I know.) When you were here Mom read a couple articles from one. Perhaps you remember? :)

~Kathrina

Daniel Ahrens said...

hmmm :) I'm not sure I know what the "family trait" is that you said was "revealed" (actually I'm not really sure what a "family trait is anyway...) :)

I'm glad I made you laugh :), it sounds like you got more enjoyment out of it than _I_ did ;) (that's gotta be quite a lot...). so did every one else laugh? or did they just look at you like "huh? I guess I don't get it" :)

I'm also wondering if I even want to know what PA stands for, all I can think of is Pennsylvania (if that is truly how you spell it, my pc says it is...). warm lemon water huh, I think I would look at it and puke :P. I wouldn't yell for the rest of the day though, so I guess that would cure the laryngitis ;).

yeah, I can imagine the noise (_this_ game attendee would bring a pair of powerful ear plugs)

I'm not paranoid, I just don't want anyone else to copy my work. I mean, imagine if you worked really really hard on a project, and then some idiot came along and copied it all and started selling it and making millions and millions and millions of dollars on _your_ work and, and, and, AAAAAAUGH!!!!! no I'm not paranoid.

yeah quite the news "present events: President Obama has just announced... (bla bla bla), and something about some dead chinese dude (whose name I can't pronounce, as you may remember :)) and why do you think they call them stands if you sit in them, and THE WORLD IS COMING TO AN END!!!!! etc, etc, etc. Yeah I remember ;)

Daniel

Note to the bozo that might be planning on copying this: GO STICK YOUR HEAD IN A LAKE!!!! and don't pull it out until you have decided not to copy my work. (not paranoid at all)

Daniel Ahrens said...

PS Hi Johan! (I just figured out who you were, I checked out your profile and the Mary Poppins thing gave it away :))

Daniel Ahrens said...

PPS hey what's going on I feel lonely :(. just kidding ;) but really now, did everyone go on sabbatical or something without me? :)
this is Daniel, signing out.
hahahahaha get it?? hahaha _signing_ out??? hahahaha. yeah it was lame I know. I just had to say it.

Johan said...

LOL!

:pulls head out of lake:

Howdy, Daniel! PA stands for Public Address--that is, microphones, massive speakers, etc. ;-)

I'm glad that you were able to identify me by my favorite movie. If you still think it's a weird movie, just wait until you see my new shoes.* :D

© Johan. All rights reserved.

*Shoes: http://store.organmastershoes.com/mensorganshoe-2.aspx

Daniel Ahrens said...

I'm assuming that since you pulled your head *out* you changed your mind already. ;)

ah, thanks for the info...

expensive shoes... you should paint Mary Poppins in cursive all over it :)

Daniel

Johan said...

Paint Mary Poppins on my shoes?!!!
I wouldn't do that, Daniel!

LOL!

Daniel Ahrens said...

oh please! c'mon! I'd of course like to see 'em afterwards...

Daniel

Bisceglia Family said...

::looks thoughtful:: Daniel, I'm sincerely contrite of heart for causing such confusion, for mistakenly perceiving paronoia (though what you said only proved it) and apparently spurring on such a defense as I found....and of course I am duefully sorry for then causing the unpleasant feeling of loneliness which you suffered. [ ;) ]

Now, to set all aright, and to answer your queries, Johan is right about a PA system. Singers, and sometimes other speakers, often drink hot water with lemon juice and honey added to it to assist their voices in prolonged singing/speaking. Some people use it for sore throats. If you've ever had lemon ginger tea, it's sort of like that. The family trait is your sense of humor - or the tendency to tell jokes and funny stories. And finally, I (regrettfully) have to tell you that no one else in the family thought it was funny... they all just looked blank. :| (Note: for the record, I'm joking. In fact, the rest of the family got quite a kick out of the said comment. ;) )

~Kathrina

Daniel Ahrens said...

thoughtful huh, does that mean you're thinking about this one? :) I'm just kidding, I can see how that might be taken as mean, yet unintentionally.

The whole thing about being lonely was a joke, as well as not being paranoid. (I guess it runs in the family, Amy is the worst of us though :))

thanks for clearing all that up :). I guess I would like to know what a family trait in general is... and you had me going for a while on everyone else laughing ;)

Daniel

PS check out my blog too (all 3 posts so far :)) http://disasterof94.blogspot.com/

Bisceglia Family said...

Yep, you're welcome. Clarification is good. :) A trait is "a distinguishing characteristic or quality, esp. of one's personal nature". Hope that helps.

I'll check out your blog as soon as I get the chance. :)

~Kathrina

Shiloh Strang said...

Ok… I have my thoughts sorted.

So the question is: “Why are they called "stands" if we sit in them?”
Now this looks confusing and like it doesn’t make any sense… but only because of the word “sit”. You see, the “sit” makes it look like stands are named after the action a person is exerting… but really stands are named after the action they themselves are presenting. They are built to stand. There geometric formation is designed to be a large (that’s were the word “grand” for grandstand comes in) freestanding object. Hence the name “stand”! So again (in my opinion)… Grandstands got their name, not because of what a person is doing… but because of the action of what the object itself is performing.

Oh… one more thing… that’s a great idea about the lemon thing, Kathrina! I will have to tell my siblings about that one! We do competitive speech and wow! does that make one have a dry throat. (Actually Jordan did try sucking on a lemon to prevent that problem… you can ask him how that turned out!) I will have to try that at another competition! There was a few times when (fortunately in practice) my mouth went so dry that I couldn’t even talk! Needless to say… I was left speechless! Literally!’

Ok… that all I have to say (for the moment at least!).

~Bethany

Daniel Ahrens said...

Kathrina: Thanks for more clarification, but I'm still confused ;) (I'm such a dummy and it's kinda funny :)). so is it that my good sense of humor is your family trait? or that your family has a sense of humor that is similar to mine?

and you don't _have_ to check out my blog I just thought I'd throw out that option to anyone that wanted to :)

Daniel

Bisceglia Family said...

It is this: your family has the trait or habit of telling funny stories, etc., and your comment showed or "revealed" that trait in you. Or so I thought.
Hopefully I made sense, finally. :)
~Kathrina

Daniel Ahrens said...

oh you were talking about _my_ family trait, that makes sense :). you're right, that is kind of our family trait, only more in Philip, Andy, Mom, and I than anyone else.

Yep you made sense (sure took me a long time to figure it out though :) oh well).

Daniel

Daniel Ahrens said...

PS wow I like the new picture on the front page!

Shiloh Strang said...

Ditto!

~Bethany